10. I know the difference between then and than and I will still be gentle in my error correction, even though you just got it wrong for the 36th time in one essay.
9. I expect you to make mistakes because that’s how we learn, but I will give you turns even if you don’t know the answer.
8. I don’t aim to be your friend and I’m not your parent. But if you’re being inconsiderate, aggressive or downright rude, I will call you out.
7. No you can’t go to the bathroom five minutes after lunch break.
6. You can borrow my pen, but I expect something in return. Loans come with interest, and I’m interested in your writing skills.
5. I see good qualities in everyone, and I’m not afraid to tell you about the amazing qualities you possess.
4. Every student is unique in their way of learning, what works for you might not work for someone else and I promise to take this into account.
3. Learning isn’t always fun, but I will try to put some humour in my lessons.
2. I’ll never be done learning myself, please teach me just as many things as I teach you.
1. I’m myself, and I won’t change this, and I want you to be able to be yourself too! To quote the incredible Dr. Seuss: “There’s no one alive that is youer than you.”